Columbus Blue Jackets Weekly Report: April 8, 2013
WEEKLY REPORT: APRIL 8, 2013
COLUMBUS WRAPS UP HOMESTAND VS. SAN JOSE AND ST. LOUIS, VISITS MINNESOTA THIS WEEK
Blue Jackets are currently four points behind eighth-place Red Wings in hunt for a Western Conference playoff berth
THIS WEEK’S GAME SCHEDULE/BROADCASTS (Times ET)
Tuesday, Apr. 9 vs. SAN JOSE SHARKS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. - FOX Sports Ohio/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Friday, Apr. 12 vs. ST. LOUIS BLUES, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. - FOX Sports Ohio/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Saturday, Apr. 13 vs. Minnesota Wild, Xcel Energy Center, 8 p.m. - FOX Sports Ohio/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Apr. 7: Minnesota 3 at Columbus 0 (Gaborik- 4 SOG, 21:44 TOI; MacKenzie- 6 hits; Johansen- 9/9 on face-offs; Atkinson- 2 takeaways; Prout- 2 blocked shots)
Apr. 5: Columbus 1 at St. Louis 3 (Aucoin- 1,100th career game; Anisimov- G, 2 blocked shots; Atkinson- 4 SOG; Dubinsky- 16 FOW; Johnson- 25:02 TOI, 3 hits; Tyutin- +1 rating)
Apr. 4: Columbus 3 at Nashville 1 (Gaborik- G, A, 1st Star; Bobrovsky- W, 38 saves, 2nd Star; Calvert- G, A, 3rd Star; Dubinsky- 2A, 12 FOW; Johnson- 3 hits, 4 blocked shots)
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 16-16-7 (39 pts.) – 4th/Central Division, 12th/Western Conference… Home: 11-5-5 (27 pts.)… Road: 5-11-2 (12 pts.)
Leading Scorers: RW Marian Gaborik (10-12-22, 38 GP)… LW Vinny Prospal (10-12-22, 39 GP)... C Mark Letestu (9-11-20, 37 GP)… D Fedor Tyutin (2-15-17, 39 GP)… C Artem Anisimov (10-6-16, 31 GP)… LW R.J. Umberger (7-9-16, 39 GP)
SHARKS AT A GLANCE
Record: 20-11-7 (47 pts.)… Head Coach: Todd McLellan
Players to Watch: C Joe Thornton, RW Martin Havlat, C Patrick Marleau
CBJ All-Time Series: 15-26-4 (12-9-2 on home ice)… Columbus has won two of their last three home games vs. San Jose.
This Season: Second of three meetings… The Jackets downed the Sharks 6-2 at Nationwide Arena on Feb. 11 in the first of a franchise-record 12-game point streak (9-0-3)… Season series finale goes April 21 at the HP Pavilion at San Jose.
BLUES AT A GLANCE
Record: 21-14-2 (44 pts.)… Head Coach: Ken Hitchcock
Players to Watch: RW Chris Stewart, LW David Perron, C David Backes
CBJ All-Time Series: 25-34-13 (16-13-6 on home ice)… The Jackets are 7-6-3 vs. Central Division opponents this season
This Season: Final of four meetings… St. Louis won 4-1 (Jan. 31) in Columbus and 2-1 (Feb. 23) and 3-1 (Apr. 5) at home.
WILD AT A GLANCE
Record: 22-14-2 (46 pts.)… Head Coach: Mike Yeo
Players to Watch: LW Zach Parise, D Ryan Suter, C Mikko Koivu
CBJ All-Time Series: 21-20-4 (7-13-3 on the road)… The Jackets have won three of their last five games at the Xcel Energy Center.
This Season: Season series finale… Minnesota earned a 3-2 home win on Jan. 29 and a 3-0 road victory on Apr. 7.
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, APRIL 9 - 15
Tuesday, April 9: 10 a.m. – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
Wednesday, April 10: 11:00 a.m. – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
Thursday, April 11: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
Friday, April 12: 10 a.m. – Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
Saturday, April 13: 11:30 a.m. CT – Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
Sunday, April 14: 10:30 a.m. ET – No Practice Scheduled
Monday, April 15: 11:30 a.m. MT – Pepsi Center, Denver, CO
OhioHealth INJURY REPORT
• RW Jared Boll (day-to-day, lower body)
• D Tim Erixon (day-to-day, upper body)
• D Nikita Nikitin (day-to-day, upper body)
• C Brandon Dubinsky (day-to-day, illness)
2012-13 Man Games Lost to Injury: 114
NEWS & NOTES
• The Blue Jackets have posted a 9-1-3 mark at Nationwide Arena since Feb. 11.
• The Blue Jackets are tied for ninth place in the NHL with 27 home ice points (11-5-5) this season.
• Columbus leads the Western Conference in fighting majors (30) and ranks fifth in total team hits (933).
• The Blue Jackets currently rank third in the Western Conference with a penalty killing success rate of 84.3 pct.
• The Blue Jackets are tied for seventh place in the NHL in comeback wins (7) in 2012-13.
• RW Marian Gaborik has tallied 1-2-3 in three games played since joining the Blue Jackets last week. He moved into a tie for second place in the NHL by netting his fifth game-winning goal of the season in his Columbus debut on Apr. 4 at Nashville.
• G Sergei Bobrovsky is currently tied for third in the NHL in SV% (.927) and ranks seventh in GAA (2.12).
• D Jack Johnson currently ranks fifth in the NHL in Time On Ice (26:08/game).
• LW R.J. Umberger is tied for 10th in the NHL in blocked shots by a forward (36).
• D Dalton Prout leads Columbus in plus/minus (+8) and ranks third in the NHL among rookie blueliners in that category.
UPCOMING GAME NIGHT PROMOTIONS
• FRIDAY, APRIL 12 vs. ST. LOUIS BLUES – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: This package is available for Thursday and Friday games starting at $30 per person and includes one ticket, a Blue Jackets hat, a $10 food voucher, a Tim Hortons travel mug and a 10-pack of Timbits. All fans attendance for this game will also receive a free Blue Jackets 2012-13 yearbook.
• Huntington Green Seats: A minimum of 250 tickets are available for just $10 at the Big Lots Box Office at Nationwide Arena two hours prior to every home game.
• Papa John’s Rush CBJ student tickets: While supplies last, college and high school students can purchase tickets for $15 (AEP Power Level) and $25 (Lower Level) at the Big Lots Box Office beginning one hour prior to all home games or online most game days at 12 p.m. at www.BlueJackets.com/Rush. Limit two per person with valid student I.D.
• Military Appreciation Offer – Active members of the armed services may present current military identification at the Big Lots Box Office at Nationwide Arena to redeem a pair of complimentary tickets for any game this season.
BLUE JACKETS BUSY AT THE TRADE DEADLINE
• Blue Jackets General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen was extremely busy in the hours leading up the NHL’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline on April 3. The first-year GM completed four transactions with four different teams, all between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m. In addition to acquiring LW Blake Comeau from Calgary and G Michael Leighton from Philadelphia, Kekalainen obtained the services of three-time NHL All-Star and perennial 30-goal scorer Marian Gaborik from the NY Rangers in a blockbuster deal that sent three players and a draft pick to New York. Defensive prospects Steven Delisle and Blake Parlett were also added to Columbus’ organizational roster last Wednesday, as was goaltender Patrick Killeen. A full list of the CBJ’s Deadline Day transactions can be found below:
- Acquired M. Gaborik (RW), S. Delisle (D) & B. Parlett (D) from NYR in exchange for D. Brassard (C), D. Dorsett (RW), J. Moore (D) and a 6th round pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
- Acquired B. Comeau (LW) from CGY in exchange for a 5th round pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
- Acquired M. Leighton (G) and a 3rd round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for S. Mason (G).
- Acquired P. Killeen (G) from PIT in exchange for future considerations.
BLUE JACKETS’ WEBSITE POSTS RECORD-SETTING NUMBERS ON NHL TRADE DEADLINE DAY
• Last Wednesday’s NHL Trade Deadline saw a record number of hockey fans paying a visit to BlueJackets.NHL.com. The Jackets’ official website recorded 178,604 page views during the day, more than 50,000 more than any other day in the site’s existence. Nearly 70,000 page views came between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m., during which time trades with the Rangers, Flames, Penguins and Flyers were officially announced.
OVER $22,000 RAISED FOR CHARITY DURING MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT
• The Blue Jackets’ annual Military Appreciation Night was held during yesterday’s game against Minnesota, with Columbus players donning a camouflage-style jersey during pre-game warm-ups that were subsequently autographed and put up for silent auction on the main concourse at Nationwide Arena. This initiative raised over $22,000 for the Blue Jackets Foundation and the OSU Student Veterans Affairs Fund.
WIN JACKETS TICKETS AND PAPA JOHN’S PIZZA PARTY AT WORK
• Blue Jackets fans are invited to enter a contest for a chance to win 20 tickets to the team’s Apr. 27 home game vs. Nashville and score a free Papa John’s Pizza Party for their office. Entry forms can be found at www.BlueJackets.com/PapasPizzaParty. All winning contestants will have their Papa John’s Pizzas and tickets delivered to their office by Stinger.
NATIONWIDE VIP EXPERIENCE
• Nationwide Insurance will award a lucky sweepstakes winner a special VIP Game Experience at the Blue Jackets’ April 12 home game vs. St. Louis. The winner will receive tickets in the Nationwide Fan Lounge, $25 food/beverage voucher, $50 FOX Sports Ohio Blue Line gift card and a variety of special, behind-the-scenes experiences. Entry forms can be found at www.bluejackets.com/nationwidevip.
BOB EVANS CARRY OUT SWEEPSTAKES
• Fans who place a carry out order from a local participating Bob Evans Restaurant have the chance to enter the Bob Evans Carry Out Sweepstakes to win four tickets to a Blue Jackets game and watch pre-game warm-ups from the Bob Evans Carry Out Penalty Box. Ten fans and each entrant will also receive a bounce-back coupon from Bob Evans to use on a future carry out order. For more information, visit www.BlueJackets.com/BobEvansCarryOut.
BLUE JACKETS ON TV & RADIO
• FOX Sports Ohio: Game night coverage includes the BLUE JACKETS LIVE pre- (begins 30 minutes prior to the start of each game) and post-game shows… BLUE JACKETS SLAP SHOTS gives fans an up close look at the club, its players, coaches and personalities on and off the ice and airs this week at 7:30 p.m.
• 97.1 The Fan: SUNDAY MORNING SKATE can be heard on the Columbus Blue Jackets Radio Network and Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan on Sundays from 10 to 11 a.m… THE COACH’S SHOW with Todd Richards airs on Wednesdays from 7 to 8 p.m. (time and day subject to change).
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE JACKETS
• OFFICIAL WEBSITE: For the latest news and exclusive team content, visit www.BlueJackets.com.
• TWITTER: Follow us at www.twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL.
• FACEBOOK: “Like” us at www.facebook.com/OfficialColumbusBlueJackets.
• YOUTUBE: Check out great videos at www.YouTube.com/BlueJacketsNHL.
• CBJ TEXT ALERTS: For scores, news, and special offers, text “GoCBJ” to 90561 or visit www.BlueJackets.com/CBJTextAlerts.
• Single Game: Tickets starting at $26 are on sale at the Big Lots Box Office at Nationwide Arena, FOX Sports Ohio Blue Line Team Store at the Mall at Tuttle Crossing and OhioHealth Chiller Ice Rinks (Easton, Dublin, North) and all Ticketmaster Ticket Centers, by phone at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.BlueJackets.com and www.Ticketmaster.com.
• Season & Group Tickets: For information on full and partial season ticket plans starting at $15 per game and group tickets, call (614) 246-PUCK or (800) NHL-COLS or visit www.BlueJackets.com.