Blue Jackets Weekly Report: Nov. 18
BLUE JACKETS WEEKLY REPORT: NOVEMBER 18, 2013
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Nov. 12 – at Washington 4, COLUMBUS 3 (OT)
(Dubinsky – G, A, 7-of-8 face-offs; Boll – G, 4 hits, +1; Atkinson – G, 4 shots; Bobrovsky – 30 saves)
Nov. 14 – at Boston 3, COLUMBUS 2 (OT)
(Foligno – G, 7 hits; Comeau – G, 5 hits, +1; MacKenzie – A, +1, 7-of-11 face-offs; Bobrovsky – 28 saves)
Nov. 15 – Montreal 3, at COLUMBUS 2 (SO)
(Umberger – G, +1; Anisimov – G, +1; Foligno – A, 6 hits, +1; Wisniewski – A, +1; McElhinney – 38 saves)
Nov. 17 – COLUMBUS 4, at Ottawa 1
(Johansen – G, A, 5 shots, 11 FO wins; Tyutin – G, A, +1; Umberger – PPG; MacKenzie – G, 3 shots, +1; Bobrovsky – 29 saves)
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Tuesday, Nov. 19 at Edmonton Oilers, Rexall Place, 9:30 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Wednesday, Nov. 20 at Calgary Flames, Scotiabank Saddledome, 10 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/WWCD 102.5 FM
Friday, Nov. 22 at Vancouver Canucks, Rogers Arena, 10 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Broadcasting Note: Wednesday’s game between the Blue Jackets and Calgary Flames will be carried on the American Forces Network, broadcasting to the U.S. armed forces serving in 175 countries and aboard ships at sea.
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, NOV. 19-25
Tuesday, Nov. 19: 11:30 a.m. MT – Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB
Wednesday, Nov. 20: 11:30 a.m. MT – Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB
Thursday, Nov. 21: No Practice Scheduled
Friday, Nov. 22: 11:30 a.m. PT – Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
Saturday, Nov. 23: No Practice Scheduled
Sunday, Nov. 24: 12:30 p.m. ET – Lakeshore Arena, Toronto, ON
Monday, Nov. 25: 11:30 a.m. ET – Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 7-10-3 (17 pts.) – 7th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 4-6-1 (9 pts.)… Road: 3-4-2 (8 pts.)
Leading Scorers: D James Wisniewski (2-14-16 in 20 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (5-10-15 in 20 GP)… C Ryan Johansen (6-7-13 in 20 GP)… LW R.J. Umberger (5-6-11 in 20 GP)… RW Marian Gaborik (5-6-11 in 17 GP).
Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (6-8-2, 2.72 GAA, .912 SV% in 16 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (1-2-1, 1.94, .936 in 5 GP)
EDMONTON OILERS AT A GLANCE
Record: 5-15-2 (12 pts.) – 7th/Pacific Division… Home: 1-7-0 (2 pts.)… Road: 4-8-2 (10 pts.)
Head Coach: Dallas Eakins… Players to Watch: F Jordan Eberle, F Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, F David Perron
All-Time: CBJ, 15-26-6 (5-16-2 on the road)… This season: First of two meetings… Next game: Nov. 29 at Columbus.
CALGARY FLAMES AT A GLANCE
Record: 6-11-3 (15 pts.) – 6th/Pacific Division… Home: 3-4-2 (8 pts.)… Road: 3-7-1 (7 pts.)
Head Coach: Bob Hartley… Players to Watch: F Jiri Hudler, F Sean Monahan, F Mike Cammalleri
All-Time: CBJ, 25-17-6 (9-12-2 on the road)… This season: Second of two meetings… The Flames earned a 4-3 win at Nationwide Arena on Oct. 4.
VANCOUVER CANUCKS AT A GLANCE
Record: 11-8-3 (25 pts.) – 5th/Pacific Division… Home: 4-4-1 (9 pts.)… Road: 7-4-2 (16 pts.)
Head Coach: John Tortorella… Players to Watch: F Henrik Sedin, F Daniel Sedin, F Ryan Kesler
All-Time: CBJ, 16-23-9 (6-13-4 on the road)… The Jackets have earned a point in four-straight (2-0-2), matching their best streak in series history (4-0-0 from Feb. 29, 2008 to Jan. 18, 2009)… This season: Second of two meetings… The Blue Jackets earned a 3-1 win at home on Oct. 20.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
· RW Marian Gaborik (Injured Reserve – knee sprain, expected to miss four to six weeks)… LW Matt Calvert (Injured Reserve – abdominal surgery, expected to miss six weeks)… RW Nathan Horton (shoulder surgery, out indefinitely)… Man Games Lost to Injury: 65
· The Blue Jackets have earned a point in a season-high five consecutive games (2-0-3).
· Columbus, in the midst of a stretch of seven-of-eight road games, has gone 11-8-4 in its last 23 away from home.
· The Jackets have won their last 30 games when leading after two periods, all since Todd Richards took over as head coach on Jan. 9, 2012.
· The Jackets converted a season-best 3-of-5 power play attempts at Ottawa on Nov. 17 and enter the week ranking 13th in the NHL at 19.7 pct. on the season (14-of-71).
· The Jackets have killed off 22-of-25 opponent power plays over the last eight games (88.0 pct.) to improve its season penalty killing efficiency to 80.3 pct. (53-of-66). Columbus is tied for second in the NHL with three shorthanded goals.
· Columbus ranks 6th in the NHL, 2nd in the Eastern Conference, in face-off winning percentage at 52.5 pct.
· LW Nick Foligno has chipped in 2-5-7 in his last eight games and is riding a three-game point streak (1-2-3).
· LW R.J. Umberger has tallied 5-4-9 with three game-winning goals in his last 13 games.
· C Brandon Dubinsky has tallied 4-8-12 over the past 12 games and has 6-20-26 in 30 games dating to last season.
· D James Wisniewski leads the Jackets in scoring with 2-14-16 in 20 games and is tied for second among NHL defensemen in assists and third in points.
· C Ryan Johansen has picked up 6-6-12 in his last 15 games to raise his season totals to 6-7-13 in 20 games. He leads the club in goals and ranks third in points.
· C Mark Letestu has picked up an assist in four of the last five games.
BLUE JACKETS TAKING PART IN MOVEMBER
· Throughout November, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Blue Jackets Foundation will once again be doing their part to help raise awareness for men’s health this season. Several players will be growing moustaches as part of the ‘Movember’ initiative, with fans being encouraged to donate funds towards the cause by visiting http://moteam.co/columbus-blue-jackets.
HOLIDAY PICK ‘EM PACKS ARE BACK
· Give the gift of hockey with the Blue Jackets Holiday Pick ‘Em Pack. The package features a Blue Jackets gift box containing two tickets to two games and a holiday-themed autographed puck. Purchasers may select the two games of their choice as well as the autographed puck from one of seven players – Sergei Bobrovsky, Jared Boll, Brandon Dubinsky, Marian Gaborik, Jack Johnson, R.J. Umberger and James Wisniewski (quantities of each player puck are limited). Packages, starting at $89, are on sale now through December 23 at www.BlueJackets.com/holidaypack or by calling 1-800-NHL-COLS.
MISC. UPCOMING PROMOTIONS
· Friday, November 29 vs. Edmonton – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: With this offer, fans receive a game ticket, $10 food & beverage voucher, Blue Jackets hat, a Tim Hortons travel mug with voucher redeemable for a free coffee fill-up and a 10-pack of Timbits starting at $30 per person.
· Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Four times this season, Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Jan. 17 vs. Washington, Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
· Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night! To play, click HERE.
· John H. McConnell Scholarship – Blue Jackets players in partnership with the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation established the John H. McConnell Scholarship Fund in 2008 to honor the life and legacy of the team’s late founder John H. McConnell. Each year, one local high school senior who personifies Mr. Mac’s character and leadership is awarded the $10,000 scholarship. The deadline to apply for this year’s scholarship is Friday, Nov. 29. For more information, click HERE.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE JACKETS
· OFFICIAL WEBSITE: For the latest news and exclusive team content, visit www.BlueJackets.com.
· TWITTER: Follow us at www.twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL.
· FACEBOOK: “Like” us at www.facebook.com/OfficialColumbusBlueJackets.
· YOUTUBE: Check out great videos at www.YouTube.com/BlueJacketsNHL.
· MOBILE APP: For CBJ news anytime, anywhere download to iPhone - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/columbus-blue-jackets/id711519012?mt=8 or Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nhl.gc1314.cbj
· Single Game: Tickets are on sale at the Big Lots Box Office at Nationwide Arena, FOX Sports Ohio Blue Line Team Stores at the Mall at Tuttle Crossing and OhioHealth Chiller Ice Rinks (Easton, Dublin, North) and all Ticketmaster Ticket Centers, by phone at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.BlueJackets.com and www.Ticketmaster.com.
· Season & Group Tickets: For information on full and partial season ticket plans starting at $15 per game and group tickets, call (614) 246-PUCK or (800) NHL-COLS or visit www.BlueJackets.com.
· Huntington Green Seats: A minimum of 250 tickets are available for just $10 at the Big Lots Box Office at Nationwide Arena two hours prior to every home game.
· Papa John’s Rush CBJ student tickets: While supplies last, college and high school students can purchase tickets starting at $15 at the Big Lots Box Office beginning one hour prior to all home games. Limit two per person with valid student I.D.