Blue Jackets Weekly Report: Nov. 25
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Monday, Nov. 25 at Toronto Maple Leafs, Air Canada Centre, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/WWCD 102.5 FM
Wednesday, Nov. 27 vs. NASHVILLE PREDATORS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Friday, Nov. 29 vs. EDMONTON OILERS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/WWCD 102.5 FM
Saturday, Nov. 30 at Boston Bruins, TD Garden, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, NOV. 26-DEC. 2
Tuesday, Nov. 26: No Practice Scheduled
Wednesday, Nov. 27: 10 a.m. ET – Nationwide Arena
Thursday, Nov. 28: 10:30 a.m. ET – Nationwide Arena
Friday, Nov. 29: 10 a.m. ET – Nationwide Arena
Saturday, Nov. 30: 11:30 a.m. ET – TD Garden (Boston, MA)
Sunday, Dec. 1: No Practice Scheduled
Monday, Dec. 2: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Nov. 19 – at Edmonton 7, Columbus 0 (Johansen – 3 shots, 9-of-16 face-offs; Tyutin – Game-high 23:11 TOI, 3 shots; Bobrovsky – 14 saves; McElhinney – 11 saves)
Nov. 20 – COLUMBUS 2, at Calgary 1 (OT) (Nikitin – GWG, A, +1; Foligno – G, 20:59 TOI, +1; Umberger – A, 5 hits, +1; Bobrovsky – 23 saves)
Nov. 22 – at Vancouver 6, COLUMBUS 2 (Calvert – G, E; Anisimov – G, 2 shots; Nikitin – A, 4 blocked shots; Chaput – A, 1st NHL point; Bobrovsky – 29 saves)
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 8-12-3 (19 pts.) – 7th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 4-6-1 (9 pts.)… Road: 4-6-2 (10 pts.)
Leading Scorers: D James Wisniewski (2-14-16 in 22 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (5-10-15 in 21 GP)… C Ryan Johansen (6-7-13 in 23 GP)… LW R.J. Umberger (5-7-12 in 23 GP). Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (7-10-2, 2.95 GAA, .904 SV% in 19 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (1-2-1, 2.32, .923 in 6 GP)
OPPONENTS AT A GLANCE
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Record: 14-8-1 (29 pts.) – 2nd/Atlantic Division… Home: 9-3-0 (18 pts.)… Road: 5-5-1 (11 pts.) Head Coach: Randy Carlyle. Players to Watch: F Phil Kessel, D Dion Phaneuf, F James Van Riemsdyk, G Jonathan Bernier All-Time: CBJ, 4-6-1 (2-3-1 on the road). The Jackets are 3-2-0 in their last five meetings with Toronto This Season: Second of three meetings. The Jackets won 5-2 at Nationwide Arena on Oct. 25. Next game: Mar. 3 at Toronto.
Record: 11-10-2 (24 pts.) – 6th/Central Division… Home: 5-3-1 (11 pts.)… Road: 6-7-2 (13 pts.) Head Coach: Barry Trotz… Players to Watch: F David Legwand, F Craig Smith, D Shea Weber All-Time: CBJ, 23-40-11 (16-15-5 at home)… Columbus went 4-1-0 vs. Nashville in 2012-13… This season: First of two meetings… Next game: Mar. 8 at Nashville.
Record: 7-15-2 (16 pts.) – 7th/Pacific Division… Home: 3-7-0 (2 pts.)… Road: 4-8-2 (10 pts.) Head Coach: Dallas Eakins… Players to Watch: F Jordan Eberle, F Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, F Taylor Hall All-Time: CBJ, 15-27-6 (10-10-4 at home)… This season: Second of two meetings… Edmonton earned a 7-0 win at Rexall Place on Nov. 19.
Record: 15-6-2 (32 pts.) – 1st/Atlantic Division… Home: 9-3-2 (20 pts.)… Road: 6-3-0 (12 pts.) Head Coach: Claude Julien… Players to Watch: D Zdeno Chara, G Tuukka Rask, F Milan Lucic All-Time: CBJ, 5-6-3 (3-4-1 at home)… This season: Third of three meetings… The Bruins earned a 3-1 win at Nationwide Arena on Oct. 12 and a 3-2 OT win at TD Garden on Nov. 14.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
RW Marian Gaborik (Injured Reserve on Nov. 15 – knee sprain, expected to miss four to six weeks)… D Dalton Prout (Injured Reserve retroactive to Nov. 14 – back injury, day-to-day)… C Brandon Dubinsky (foot injury, day-to-day)… RW Nathan Horton (shoulder surgery, out indefinitely)… Man Games Lost to Injury: 80
• The Blue Jackets have gone 3-2-3 in their last seven games (heading into Monday’s game at Toronto).
• Columbus will play eight of its next 12 games at home through December 21.
• The Jackets are 31-0-0 when taking a lead into the third period since Jan. 9, 2012.
• The Jackets boast the sixth-best home penalty killing percentage in the NHL at 86.5 pct. (32-of-35).
• Columbus ranks 15th in the NHL in penalty minutes (11.3 PIM per game).
• Columbus ranks ninth in the NHL, third in the Eastern Conference, in face-off winning percentage at 52.0 pct.
• The Blue Jackets rank sixth in the NHL, third in the Eastern Conference, with 666 hits.
• LW Nick Foligno has chipped in 3-5-8 in his last 11 games after being held to 2-0-2 in his first six outings this season.
• Rookie D Ryan Murray has averaged 21:28 TOI over the last 12 games compared to 16:57 in his first 11 contests.
• G Sergei Bobrovsky has the highest career save percentage (.915) among Russian-born goaltenders with at least 100 NHL games played.
• D Nikita Nikitin has collected 1-4-5 in his last six games compared to 0-1-1 in his first 11 games this season.
• LW R.J. Umberger has tallied 5-5-10 with three game-winning goals in his last 16 games.
• D James Wisniewski leads the Jackets in scoring with 2-14-16 in 23 games, which ranks ninth among NHL defensemen.
• C Michael Chaput collected his first career NHL point at Vancouver on Nov. 22 (assist on Artem Anisimov goal).
• D David Savard has 0-3-3 in his last five games.
HOLIDAY PICK ‘EM PACKS ARE BACK
Give the gift of hockey with the Blue Jackets Holiday Pick ‘Em Pack. The package features a Blue Jackets gift box containing two tickets to two games and a holiday-themed autographed puck. Purchasers may select the two games of their choice as well as the autographed puck from one of seven players – Sergei Bobrovsky, Jared Boll, Brandon Dubinsky, Marian Gaborik, Jack Johnson, R.J. Umberger and James Wisniewski (quantities of each player puck are limited). Packages, starting at $89, are on sale now through December 23 at www.BlueJackets.com/holidaypack or by calling 1-800-NHL-COLS.
• Friday, November 29 vs. Edmonton – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: With this offer, fans receive a game ticket, $10 food & beverage voucher, Blue Jackets hat, a Tim Hortons travel mug with voucher redeemable for a free coffee fill-up and a 10-pack of Timbits starting at $30 per person.
• Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Four times this season, Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Jan. 17 vs. Washington, Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
• Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night! To play, click HERE.
• Crown Royal Conversation with the Coach – Crown Royal is giving fans the chance to meet Blue Jackets Head Coach Todd Richards, tour the team dressing room and receive two Time Warner Cable HD Lounge tickets to an upcoming game. Entry is at www.BlueJackets.com/CrownRoyal and all fans must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
JOHN H. McCONNELL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS DUE FRIDAY
Blue Jackets players in partnership with the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation established the John H. McConnell Scholarship Fund in 2008 to honor the life and legacy of the team’s late founder John H. McConnell. Each year, one local high school senior who personifies Mr. Mac’s character and leadership is awarded the $10,000 scholarship. The deadline to apply for this year’s scholarship is Friday, Nov. 29. For more information, click HERE.
BLUE JACKETS TAKING PART IN MOVEMBER
Throughout November, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Blue Jackets Foundation will once again be doing their part to help raise awareness for men’s health this season. Several players will be growing moustaches as part of the ‘Movember’ initiative, with fans being encouraged to donate funds towards the cause by visiting http://moteam.co/columbus-blue-jackets.