CBJ Weekly Report (Dec. 30)
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Tuesday, Dec. 31 at Colorado Avalanche, Pepsi Center, 8 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Thursday, Jan. 2 at Phoenix Coyotes, Jobing.com Arena, 9 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Saturday, Jan. 4 at St. Louis Blues, Scottrade Center, 8 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Tuesday, Dec. 31: 9:30 a.m. MT – Pepsi Center, Denver, CO
Wednesday, Jan. 1: 2:30 p.m. MT – Jobing.com Arena, Glendale, AZ
Thursday, Jan. 2: 11:30 a.m. MT – Jobing.com Arena, Glendale, AZ
Friday, Jan. 3: 2 p.m. CT – The Mills, St. Louis, MO
Saturday, Jan. 4: 11:30 a.m. CT – Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO
Sunday, Jan. 5: TBD – New York, NY
Monday, Jan. 6: 11 a.m. ET – Chelsea Piers Ice Rink, New York, NY
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Dec. 23 – COLUMBUS 4, at Carolina 3 (Anisimov – G, A, +2; Letestu – 2 A, +1; Skille – GWG, 5 shots; Johansen – G, 9-of-11 face-offs; Tropp – G, +1; McKenna – 30 saves)
Dec. 27 – COLUMBUS 2, at New Jersey 1 (SO) (Anisimov – G, 11 FO wins, +1; Atkinson – SOW, A, +1; Dubinsky – A, 4 shots, +1; McElhinney – 16 saves; 3-of-3 SO att.)
Dec. 29 – Pittsburgh 5 at COLUMBUS 3 (Nikitin – G, A, +2; Tropp – G, +3; Dubinsky – G, 6 shots; MacKenzie – A, +2, 8 hits; Murray – 24:40 TOI; McElhinney – 25 saves)
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 17-18-4 (38 pts.) – 6th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 9-9-2 (20 pts.), Road: 8-9-2 (18 pts.)
Leading Scorers: C Ryan Johansen (15-15-30 in 39 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (7-18-25 in 33 GP)… LW Nick Foligno (10-11-21 in 33 GP)… LW R.J. Umberger (10-10-20 in 39 GP)… RW Cam Atkinson (10-10-20 in 39 GP)… D James Wisniewski(2-18-20 in 32 GP) Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (10-11-2, 2.72 GAA, .909 SV% in 23 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (6-6-1, 2.62 GAA, .914 SV% in 16 GP)… Mike McKenna (1-1-1, 3.01 GAA, .904 SV% in 4 GP)
OPPONENTS AT A GLANCE
COLORADO AVALANCHE – Record: 23-11-4 (50 pts.)… 3rd/Central Division… Home: 12-5-2 (26 pts.)… Road: 11-6-2 (24 pts.) Head Coach: Patrick Roy… Players to Watch: C Matt Duchene, LW Gabriel Landeskog, C Nathan MacKinnon
All-Time: CBJ, 13-30-4 (6-12-2 on the road)… The Jackets have won their last two meetings with the Avalanche… This season: First of two meetings… Next game: Apr. 1 at Columbus.
PHOENIX COYOTES – Record: 19-10-9 (47 pts.)… 5th/Pacific Division… Home: 10-3-3 (23 pts.)… Road: 9-7-6 (24 pts.) Head Coach: Dave Tippett… Players to Watch: D Keith Yandle, C Mike Ribeiro, G Mike Smith
All-Time: CBJ, 17-24-6 (6-14-4 on the road)… Columbus won its last meeting with Phoenix, 1-0 SOW, on Mar. 16, 2013… This season: First of two meetings… Next game: Apr. 8 at Columbus.
ST. LOUIS BLUES – Record: 26-7-5 (57 pts.)… 2nd/Central Division… Home: 15-3-2 (32 pts.)… Road: 11-4-3 (25 pts.) Head Coach: Ken Hitchcock… Players to Watch: RW T.J. Oshie, C David Backes, D Kevin Shattenkirk All-Time: CBJ, 26-34-14 (9-21-7)… The Jackets have picked up points in their last two meetings with St. Louis, earning a 4-1 home win on Apr. 12 and taking the Blue to overtime in a 4-3 loss on Dec. 14… This season: Second of two meetings.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
RW Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone; surgery on Dec. 24 and will be sidelined indefinitely)… G Sergei Bobrovsky (groin, Injured Reserve on Dec. 4, expected to miss four to five weeks… RW Jared Boll (torn ankle tendon; Injured Reserve on Nov. 26, surgery on Dec. 16, expected to miss three to four months)… RW Nathan Horton (shoulder surgery, out indefinitely)… D Dalton Prout (upper body, Injured Reserve on Dec. 18, expected to miss two to three weeks)… LW Matt Calvert (upper body, day-to-day)… Man Games Lost to Injury/Illness: 168
- The Blue Jackets are 7-4-1 in December which is the second-best record in the Metropolitan Division for the month.
- Columbus has recorded only 211 giveaways this season, the second-lowest total in the NHL.
- The Blue Jackets rank fourth in the NHL, third in the Eastern Conference, with 1187 total team hits.
- Columbus has scored 42 third period goals this season, the fifth-highest total in the league.
- The Jackets have gone 6-5-0 in their last 11 road games, including a 3-1-0 mark in their last four away from home.
- C Ryan Johansen has tallied 9-8-17 in his last 16 games and is now on pace to record 32-32-64 this season.
- RW Corey Tropp has recorded 2-2-4 in his last four games played, including THIS highlight-reel goal against Pittsburgh last night.
- C Brandon Dubinsky is currently tied for 20th in the NHL in face-off winning pct. (54.5) and is T-1st in shorthanded points (3).
- LW Nick Foligno currently ranks ninth in the NHL in shooting pct. (18.9) and is tied for eighth in game-winning goals (4).
- D Ryan Murrayranks second among all rookie NHL defensemen in total time on ice (786:20) and is third in blocked shots (61).
BUY PEPSI, SAVE $10 ON A TICKET TO SEE THE BLUE JACKETS
Pick up specially marked Blue Jackets cans of Pepsi at participating retailers throughout Central Ohio for an offer to save $10 on any Blue Jackets ticket for home games between January 10 and February 1, 2014. Look for special Blue Jackets-branded Pepsi trucks throughout the area in support of this special offer.
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROMOTIONS
- Friday, January 10 vs. Carolina – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: This special offer includes a game ticket, $10 food & beverage voucher, Blue Jackets hat, a Tim Hortons travel mug with voucher redeemable for a free coffee fill-up and a 10-pack of Timbits starting at $30 per person.
- Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Four times this season, Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Jan. 17 vs. Washington, Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
- Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night! To play, click HERE.
- Crown Royal Conversation with the Coach – Crown Royal is giving fans the chance to meet Blue Jackets Head Coach Todd Richards, tour the team dressing room and receive two Time Warner Cable HD Lounge tickets to an upcoming game. Entry through January 3 at www.BlueJackets.com/CrownRoyal and all fans must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
- Hollywood Casino Win & Get In to Play Poker with the Jackets – Fans can win a chance to play poker with Blue Jackets players thanks to the Hollywood Casino Win & Get In promotion. Fans can text ‘HOLLYWOOD’ to 90561 to receive a bounce-back text with a special code and instructions to visit Hollywood Casino’s Player Services. Upon showing their unique code and registering as a Marquee Rewards Club member, each fan will receive one entry to win a chance to play poker with Blue Jackets players in February. Fans can enter once during each of the following time periods – Dec. 30-Jan. 12, Jan. 13-26, Jan. 27-Feb. 9 – for a maximum of four entries to win a spot at the table. All fans must be 21 years of age or older. For more information, visit www.BlueJackets.com/Hollywood.