CBJ Weekly Report (Jan. 13)
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Mon., Jan. 13 vs. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Fri., Jan. 17 vs. WASHINGTON CAPITALS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Sat., Jan. 18 at Buffalo Sabres, First Niagara Center, 7 p.m. ET – FS Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, Jan. 14-20
Tuesday, Jan. 14: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Wednesday, Jan. 15: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Thursday, Jan. 16: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Friday, Jan. 17: 10 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Saturday, Jan. 18: 11:30 a.m. – First Niagara Center, Buffalo, NY
Sunday, Jan. 19: No Practice Scheduled
Monday, Jan. 20: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
LAST WEEK’S RESULTS
Jan. 6 – COLUMBUS 4 at NY Rangers 3 (SO) (Bobrovsky – W, 40 saves; Wisniewski – G, A, +2; Dubinsky – G, A, +2; Letestu – SO-deciding G, 10 FOW; Johnson – 31:35 TOI, 4 hits)
Jan. 10 – COLUMBUS 3 vs. Carolina 0 (Bobrovsky – 2nd shutout of 2013-14, W, 36 saves; Atkinson – G, A; Jenner – G, 6 hits; Dubinsky – G, 3 SOG; Murray, 1, blocked shot)
Jan. 11 – COLUMBUS 6 at Winnipeg 3 (McElhinney – W, 28 saves; Letestu – 2G; Jenner – 2G incl. GWG on PS; Wisniewski – 2A; MacKenzie – 2A; Atkinson – G; Foligno – G)
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 21-20-4 (46 pts.) – 7th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 10-9-2 (22 pts.), Road: 11-11-2 (24 pts.).
Leading Scorers: C Ryan Johansen (16-17-33 in 45 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (9-20-29 in 39 GP)… LW Nick Foligno (12-14-26 in 39 GP)… D James Wisniewski (3-22-25 in 38 GP)… RW Cam Atkinson (13-11-24 in 45 GP).
Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (12-11-2, 2.61 GAA, .914 SV%, 2 SO in 25 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (8-8-1, 2.82 GAA, .908 SV%, 2 SO in 20 GP).
OPPONENTS AT A GLANCE
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING – Record: 27-14-4 (58 pts.)… 2nd/Atlantic Division… Home: 14-5-2 (30 pts.)… Road: 13-9-2 (28 pts.) Head Coach: Jon Cooper… Players to Watch: RW Martin St. Louis, C Valtteri Filppula, D Victor Hedman
All-Time: CBJ, 5-6-3 (4-2-1 at home)… The Jackets were winless in three-straight (0-2-1) heading into this season… This season: Second of three meetings… Sergei Bobrovsky and Curtis McElhinney combined to make 26 saves in the first joint shutout in CBJ history, while Nick Foligno scored a highlight-reel goal in a 1-0 win on Dec. 3…Next game: Apr. 11 at Tampa Bay.
WASHINGTON CAPITALS – Record: 22-16-7 (51 pts.)… 2nd/Metropolitan Division… Home: 14-8-3 (31 pts.)… Road: 8-8-4 (20 pts.) Head Coach: Adam Oates… Players to Watch: LW Alex Ovechkin, C Nicklas Backstrom, D Mike Green
All-Time: CBJ, 4-7-5 (2-4-2 at home)… The Jackets are 0-3-2 vs. the Caps since a 5-4 home OTW on Nov. 1, 2009… This season: Third of four meetings… The Capitals earned 4-1 (Oct. 19) and 4-3 OT (Nov. 12) wins at Verizon Center… Next game: Jan. 30 at Columbus.
BUFFALO SABRES – Record: 13-26-5 (31 pts.)… 8th/Atlantic Division… Home: 9-12-3 (21 pts.)… Road: 4-14-2 (10 pts.) Head Coach: Ted Nolan… Players to Watch: G Ryan Miller, C Cody Hodgson, LW Matt Moulson
All-Time: CBJ, 9-5-1 (4-1-1 at home)… Columbus has won six of its last nine meetings with Buffalo… This season: Second of three meetings… Columbus won 4-1 at Buffalo on Oct. 10… Next game: Jan. 25 at Columbus.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- RW Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone; surgery on Dec. 24 and will be sidelined indefinitely)… RW Jared Boll (torn ankle tendon; Injured Reserve on Nov. 26, surgery on Dec. 16, expected to miss three to four months)… RW Jack Skille (upper body, placed on IR Jan. 3 retroactive to Dec. 21)… LW Blake Comeau (sprained knee; Injured Reserve on Jan. 10, expected to miss four to six weeks). Total Man Games Lost to Injury/Illness in 2013-14: 190
- The Blue Jackets are 4-1-0 in 2014 and 11-6-1 in their last 18 games.
- The Blue Jackets rank fourth in the NHL, third in the Eastern Conference, with 1,375 total team hits.
- Columbus has scored 47 third period goals this season, the fifth-highest total in the league.
- Beginning tonight versus Tampa Bay, the Jackets will play eight of their next 10 games on home ice.
- Columbus is tied for fourth in the NHL, third in the Eastern Conference, with five shorthanded goals this season.
- The Jackets are 10-7-1 versus Metropolitan Division teams in 2013-14.
- D James Wisniewski is tied for ninth among all NHL defensemen in points-per-game (0.66) with 3-22-25 in 38 games.
- C Brandon Dubinsky ranks 1st-T in the NHL in shorthanded points (3), T-2nd in shorthanded goals (2), 17th in penalty minutes (74) and 20th in faceoff winning pct. (54.7).
- LW Nick Foligno currently ranks 12th in the NHL in shooting pct. (17.9) and is tied for 11th in game-winning goals (4).
- C Mark Letestu has registered 3-1-4 and a +2 rating in his last four games and he also netted the shootout-deciding goal in a 4-3 win at the NY Rangers on Jan. 6.
- D Ryan Murray has dished out four assists this month, tying him for second among NHL rookies. On the season, Murray is tied for sixth among freshman defensemen in points (13), ranks third in blocked shots (71) and fourth in TOI/game (20:15).
- LW Boone Jenner became just the second CBJ rookie (David Vyborny, 2000-01) to convert on a penalty shot in Saturday’s 6-3 win at Winnipeg and is the first CBJ rookie to score a GWG via a penalty shot.
FSO FLORIDA FLYAWAY
Fox Sports Ohio wants to send a lucky fan on the road to see the Blue Jackets play in the Florida Fly Away Sweepstakes. Fans who watch the team on Fox Sports Ohio between January 10 and February 1, will be shown a keyword to enter at www.BlueJackets.com/FloridaFlyAway or to text to 90561. Twelve qualifying winners will receive an autographed puck and a grand prize winner will receive a three-night trip to Florida which includes airfare, two tickets to see the Blue Jackets vs. Lightning on Apr. 11, hotel accommodations and $300 spending cash. The grand prize winner will be selected and recognized in-arena on Mar. 18.
WALGREENS 60 SECOND COUNTDOWN
Fans can visit their local Walgreens store or text ‘WALGREENS’ to 90561 to enter the Walgreens 60 Second Countdown. One contestant will be randomly selected for each remaining home game this season. The winner receives four tickets to a game and will walk away with $1,000 if a Blue Jackets player scores a goal in the last 60 seconds of the 2nd period.
YUENGLING CELEBRITY BARTENDER – WEDNESDAY NIGHT AT R BAR
Join Blue Jackets players Dalton Prout and David Savard at RBar in the Arena District on Wednesday, January 15 from 7 to 9 p.m. for the second installment of Yuengling’s Celebrity Bartender. All money from tips and signed jerseys will benefit the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation.
BUY PEPSI, SAVE $10 ON A TICKET TO SEE THE BLUE JACKETS
Pick up specially marked Blue Jackets cans of Pepsi at participating retailers throughout Central Ohio for an offer to save $10 on any Blue Jackets ticket for home games between now and February 1, 2014. Look for special Blue Jackets-branded Pepsi trucks throughout the area in support of this special offer.
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROMOTIONS
- Friday, January 17 vs. Washington – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: This special offer includes a game ticket, $10 food & beverage voucher, Blue Jackets hat, a Tim Hortons travel mug with voucher redeemable for a free coffee fill-up and a 10-pack of Timbits starting at $30 per person. Every fan in attendance will also receive a free Blue Jackets yearbook.
- Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Four times this season, Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Jan. 17 vs. Washington, Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
- Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night! To play, click HERE.
- Hollywood Casino Win & Get In to Play Poker with the Jackets – Fans can win a chance to play poker with Blue Jackets players thanks to the Hollywood Casino Win & Get In promotion. Fans can text ‘HOLLYWOOD’ to 90561 to receive a bounce-back text with a special code and instructions to visit Hollywood Casino’s Player Services. Upon showing their unique code and registering as a Marquee Rewards Club member, each fan will receive one entry to win a chance to play poker with Blue Jackets players in February. Fans can enter once during each of the following remaining time periods – Jan. 13-26, Jan. 27-Feb. 9 – for a maximum of four entries to win a spot at the table. All fans must be 21 years of age or older. For more information, visit www.BlueJackets.com/Hollywood.