CBJ Weekly Report: Feb. 24
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Thurs., Feb. 27 at New Jersey Devils, Prudential Center, 7 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/WWCD 102.5 FM
Sat, Mar. 1 vs. FLORIDA PANTHERS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 2 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, Feb. 25-Mar. 3
Tuesday, Feb. 25: 10:30 a.m. – OhioHealth Ice Haus
Wednesday, Feb. 26: 10:30 a.m. – OhioHealth Ice Haus
Thursday, Feb. 27: 11:30 a.m. – Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
Friday, Feb. 28: 11 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Saturday, Mar. 1: No Practice Scheduled
Sunday, Mar. 2: 10:30 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Monday, Mar. 3: 11:30 a.m. – Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 29-24-5 (63 pts.) – 4th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 16-11-2 (34 pts.), Road: 13-13-3 (29 pts.).
Leading Scorers: C Ryan Johansen (24-22-46 in 58 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (12-24-36 in 52 GP)… D James Wisniewski (5-30-35 in 51 GP)… RW Cam Atkinson (17-15-32 in 58 GP)… LW Nick Foligno (15-16-31 in 52 GP).
Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (20-14-3, 2.52 GAA, .918 SV%, 2 SO in 37 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (8-9-1, 2.80 GAA, .908 SV%, 2 SO in 22 GP).
OPPONENTS AT A GLANCE
NEW JERSEY DEVILS – Record: 24-22-13 (61 pts.) – 7th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 13-7-7 (33 pts.)… Road: 11-15-6 (28 pts.). Head Coach: Peter DeBoer… Players to Watch: G Martin Brodeur, RW Jaromir Jagr, LW Patrik Elias
All-Time: CBJ, 6-7-2 (1-3-2 on the road)… The Jackets earned their first-ever win at Prudential Center on Dec. 27 (2-1, SO)… This season: Final of four meetings… Columbus is 3-0-0 vs. New Jersey in 2013-14, including home wins on Oct. 22 (4-1) and Dec. 10 (5-4).
FLORIDA PANTHERS – Record: 22-29-7 (51 pts.)… 7th/Atlantic Division… Home: 11-12-4 (26 pts.)… Road: 11-17-3 (25 pts.) Head Coach: Peter Horachek… Players to Watch: G Tim Thomas, LW Jonathan Huberdeau, RW Brad Boyes
All-Time: CBJ, 9-4-0 (5-2-0 at home)… The Jackets have won their last six matchups with the Panthers dating back to Mar. 21, 2009… This season: Second of three meetings… Columbus defeated Florida by a score of 4-1 at Nationwide Arena on Feb. 1… Next game: Apr. 12 at Florida.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- RW Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone; had surgery on Dec. 24)… RW Jared Boll (torn ankle tendon; had surgery on Dec. 16, was expected to miss 3-4 months)… LW Blake Comeau (lower body; day-to-day)… D Fedor Tyutin (ankle; out 2-3 weeks)…Total Man Games Lost to Injury/Illness in 2013-14: 241
- Columbus has the seventh-best record in the NHL since Mar. 1, 2013 at 48-29-9 (.610 winning percentage).
- The Blue Jackets have gone 12-5-1 since Jan. 1, 2014, tying them with the New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues for the second-best record in the NHL in 2014 (Colorado Avalanche, 13-5-1).
- Columbus currently ranks fourth in the NHL in hits (1,750), 10th in 5-on-5 goal ratio (1.10/1) and 10th in team faceoff pct. (51.3).
- The Blue Jackets rank seventh in the NHL in goals-per-game (2.86) and are on pace to score a franchise-record 235 goals this season (220, 2008-09).
- Columbus has recorded only 295 giveaways this season which is the second-lowest total in the league (St. Louis, 239).
- G Sergei Bobrovsky is 12-3-1 with a 2.09 goals-against-average and .933 save-percentage in his last 16 starts.
- C Ryan Johansen has tallied 8-6-14 in his last 14 games and is now on pace to record 34-31-65 in 2013-14. He would become the third Jacket to score 30+ goals in a season (Rick Nash - 7x, Geoff Sanderson - 2x) and the seventh to reach the 65-point plateau.
- D James Wisniewski currently ranks seventh among NHL defensemen in points-per-game (0.69) and is tied for fifth among all league blueliners in power play points (19).
- C Brandon Dubinsky ranks 14th in the NHL in faceoff winning pct. (54.9), T-3rd in intradivisional scoring (9-16-25, 22 GP), T-7th in shorthanded scoring (2-1-3), T-16th in hits (162) and 19th in penalty minutes (86).
- D Ryan Murray ranks fifth among all NHL rookies in time on ice (19:58/game), third in blocked shots (90) and T-9th in assists (16).
BLUE JACKETS FOUNDATION HOSTS BLACK TIE BLUE JACKETS STYLE SHOW ON TUESDAY
For the eighth consecutive year, Columbus Blue Jackets players and their wives, along with local pediatric cancer heroes, will model the latest fashions in a charity style show to raise funds to support the fight against pediatric cancer. This year’s Black Tie Blue Jackets Style Show, presented by Medical Mutual of Ohio, is set for Tuesday, February 25 and will be staged once again on center ice at Nationwide Arena. The event will celebrate 11 local cancer patients this year, ranging in age between six and 14 years old. More information on this event can be obtained by clicking HERE.
WALGREENS 60 SECOND COUNTDOWN
Fans can visit their local Walgreens store or text ‘WALGREENS’ to 90561 to enter the Walgreens 60 Second Countdown. One contestant will be randomly selected for each remaining home game this season. The winner receives four tickets to a game and will walk away with $1,000 if a Blue Jackets player scores a goal in the last 60 seconds of the second period.
TIM HORTONS COFFEE WITH THE COACH
Blue Jackets fans are now able to enter to win the opportunity to enjoy coffee and donuts with Head Coach Todd Richards at the Tim Hortons location at Nationwide Arena on Monday, March 17. More information on this promotion can be obtained by visiting BlueJackets.com/CoffeewithCoach.
COLD STONE CREAMERY STINGER CREATION
Beginning March 1, Cold Stone Creamery locations in Central Ohio will launch the Stinger Creation: sweet cream ice cream with strawberries, blueberries and white chocolate chips. Fans in attendance during four upcoming games have the chance to win a free Like It™ size Stinger Creation coupon during Cold Stone timeout features.
PAPA JOHN’S “COOKIES FOR KIDS”
Today marks the launch of the “Cookies for Kids” program in which Papa John’s will donate $1 for every Mega-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookie sold in central Ohio stores from February 24 through April 6. Proceeds will benefit the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation’s fight against pediatric cancer. No promotion code or coupon is required. To place an order, visit www.papajohns.com.
CBJ SOCIAL MEDIA WATCH PARTY AT BUFFALO WILD WINGS IN WHITEHALL
The Blue Jackets’ social media team will visit the Whitehall Buffalo Wild Wings (3920 East Broad Street, Whitehall) on Thursday, February 27 as the Jackets battle the Devils at 7 p.m. Mike Todd and the promo team will also be in attendance and fans can win autographed items and take part in the Buffalo Wild Wings Player Card Series promotion. Thursday’s player card is Brandon Dubinsky.
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROMOTIONS
- Saturday, March 1 vs. Florida – DISPATCH FAMILY VALUE PACK: With this offer, fans receive a game ticket, hot dog, Pepsi, popcorn, a voucher for a free Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream and OhioHealth Ice Haus Skate Pass starting at $30 per person.
- Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
- Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night! To play, click HERE.