CBJ Weekly Report (March 17)
THIS WEEK’S GAME/BROADCAST SCHEDULE (Times ET)
Tuesday, Mar. 18 vs. CAROLINA HURRICANES, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Thursday, Mar. 20 at Montreal Canadiens, Bell Centre, 7:30 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/ Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Fri., Mar. 21 vs. NEW YORK RANGERS, NATIONWIDE ARENA, 7 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/ Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
Sunday, Mar. 23 at New York Islanders, Nassau County Coliseum, 1 p.m. – FOX Sports Ohio HD/ Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan
PRACTICE SCHEDULE, Mar. 18-24
Tuesday, Mar. 18: 10 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Wednesday, Mar. 19: 11 a.m. – Nationwide Arena
Thursday, Mar. 20: 11:30 a.m. – Bell Centre, Montreal, QC
Friday, Mar. 21: 10 a.m. – Nationwide Arena (tentative)
Saturday, Mar. 22: 11 a.m. – OhioHealth Ice Haus
Sunday, Mar. 23: No Practice Schedule
Monday, Mar. 24: 10:30 a.m.– Nationwide Arena
BLUE JACKETS AT A GLANCE
Record: 35-26-6 (76 pts.) – 3rd/Metropolitan Division… 7th/Eastern Conference… Home: 19-11-3 (41 pts.), Road: 16-15-3 (35 pts.). Leading Scorers: C Ryan Johansen (26-24-50 in 67 GP)… C Brandon Dubinsky (13-28-41 in 61 GP)… D James Wisniewski (6-33-39 in 60 GP)… LW Nick Foligno (17-19-36 in 61 GP)… RW Cam Atkinson (18-16-34 in 65 GP). Goaltender Stats: Sergei Bobrovsky (26-16-4, 2.46 GAA, .920 SV%, 3 SO in 46 GP)… Curtis McElhinney (8-9-1, 2.83 GAA, .907 SV%, 2 SO in 23 GP).
OPPONENTS AT A GLANCE
CAROLINA HURRICANES – Record: 29-30-9 (67 pts.) – 7th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 17-14-5 (39 pts.)… Road: 12-16-4 (28 pts.) Head Coach: Kirk Muller… Players to Watch: C Eric Staal, LW Jeff Skinner, RW Alexander Semin All-Time: CBJ, 9-7-0 (5-2-0 at home)… The Jackets are 7-1-0 in their last eight meetings with the Hurricanes… This season: Fourth of five meetings… Columbus won 4-3 at Carolina on Dec. 23 and 3-0 at home Jan. 10, while the Canes won 3-2 at home on Jan. 27… Next game: Mar. 29 at Carolina.
MONTREAL CANADIENS – Record: 37-25-7 (81 pts.) – 2nd/Atlantic Division… Home: 19-11-5 (43 pts.)… Road: 18-14-2 (38 pts.) Head Coach: Michel Therrien… Players to Watch: G Carey Price, D P.K. Subban, C Daniel Briere All-Time: CBJ, 6-5-2 (4-3-1 on the road)… The Jackets are 4-1-2 in their last seven meetings with Montreal… This season: Third of three meetings… Columbus dropped a 5-3 decision at Montreal on Oct. 17 and picked up one point in a 3-2 SOL on Nov. 15.
NEW YORK RANGERS – Record: 36-29-4 (76 pts.) – 4th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 16-16-4 (36 pts.)… Road: 20-13-0 (40 pts.) Head Coach: Alain Vigneault… Players to Watch: LW Rick Nash, RW Martin St. Louis, G Henrik Lundqvist All-Time: CBJ, 8-5-2 (5-3-0 at home)… The Jackets are 3-1-1 in their last five meetings with the Rangers… This season: Fourth of four meetings… Columbus lost 4-2 at home on Nov. 7 before winning twice at Madison Square Garden – 4-2 on Dec. 12 and 4-3 in a shootout on Jan. 6.
NEW YORK ISLANDERS – Record: 26-34-9 (61 pts.) – 8th/Metropolitan Division… Home: 10-17-8 (28 pts.)… Road: 16-17-1 (33 pts.) Head Coach: Jack Capuano… Players to Watch: RW Kyle Okposo, C Frans Nielsen, RW Michael Grabner All-Time: CBJ, 11-1-4 (4-1-2 on the road)… The Jackets’ lone regulation loss to the Islanders came on Dec. 23, 2006 at Nassau County Coliseum… This season: Third of four meetings…. Columbus earned a 3-2 SOW on Long Island on Oct. 5 and captured a 5-2 home win on Nov. 9... Next game: Apr. 6 at Columbus.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- RW Jared Boll (torn ankle tendon; had surgery on Dec. 16, was expected to miss 3-4 months)… D Ryan Murray (arthroscopic knee surgery on Mar. 7, expected to miss four to six weeks)… Total Man Games Lost to Injury/Illness in 2013-14: 266
- The Blue Jackets are 17-6-2 in their last 25 games and 10-2-1 in their last 13 home games. The club is on pace to finish the season with 93 points, which would set a new franchise record (92, 2008-09).
- Columbus is T-8th in the NHL in goals-per-game (2.84) and is on pace to score a franchise-record 233 goals this season (220, 2008-09).
- The Jackets rank third in the NHL with 2,045 hits and are ninth in team faceoff pct. (51.2).
- Columbus ranks T-14th in the NHL on the power play (18.3 pct.) and boasts the league’s seventh-best PP at home (21.6 pct.). The club ranks T-15th in the NHL in penalty killing (82.0 pct.) and is tied for sixth-best at home (85.1 pct.).
- The postponed game between the Blue Jackets and Dallas Stars will be made up on Wednesday, April 9 at American Airlines Center. Game time is 8:30 p.m. ET. A full 60-minute game will be played, but the Blue Jackets will start with a 1-0 lead, which was the score when the original game was halted due to a medical emergency involving Stars F Rich Peverley.
- G Sergei Bobrovsky was named the NHL’s First Star of the Week earlier today after going 2-0-1 with a 1.58 GAA and .950 SV% in three starts from March 10-16. He is 18-5-2 with a 2.13 GAA and .932 SV% in his last 25 appearances.
- C Ryan Johansen has recorded 7-5-12 in his last 14 games and is now on pace to tally 31-29-60 this season. He would become the third Blue Jacket to score 30+ goals in a season (Nash -7x, Sanderson -2x) and the ninth to reach 60 points.
- D James Wisniewski is T-8th among all NHL defensemen in power play points (20) and ranks 11th in points-per-game (0.65).
- C Artem Anisimov leads all NHL players in game-winning goals this month with four. He is T-8th with five goals total in March.
RAISING CANE’S BLUE JACKETS SWEEPSTAKES
Blue Jackets fans are encouraged to visit Raising Cane’s where they can enter to win two tickets to an upcoming game and a $10 Raising Cane’s gift card. An entry form can also be obtained by visiting BlueJackets.com/Canes.
COLUMBUS DISPATCH HOLDING ‘CASH ON ICE $10,000 SWEEPSTAKES’
The Columbus Dispatch is holding a ‘Cash on Ice $10,000 Sweepstakes’ whereby fans can enter to win prizes including VIP game experiences, tickets, autographed merchandise and the chance to win $10,000 in cash during an intermission contest on April 8. Entry can be obtained by either subscribing to The Dispatch during the promotional period or by entering at Dispatch.com/WinCBJ.
WALGREENS 60 SECOND COUNTDOWN
Fans can visit their local Walgreens store or text ‘WALGREENS’ to 90561 to enter the Walgreens 60 Second Countdown. One contestant will be randomly selected for each remaining home game this season. The winner receives four tickets to a game and will walk away with $1,000 if a Blue Jackets player scores a goal in the last 60 seconds of the 2nd period.
COLD STONE CREAMERY STINGER CREATION
Cold Stone Creamery locations in Central Ohio recently launched the Stinger Creation: sweet cream ice cream with strawberries, blueberries and white chocolate chips. Fans in attendance during select upcoming Blue Jackets home games have the chance to win a free Like It™ size Stinger Creation coupon during Cold Stone timeout features.
PAPA JOHN’S “COOKIES FOR KIDS” PROGRAM
Papa John’s recently launched the “Cookies for Kids” program in which they will donate $1 for every Mega-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookie sold in central Ohio stores through April 6. Proceeds will benefit the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation’s fight against pediatric cancer. No promotion code or coupon is required. To place an order, visit www.papajohns.com.
CROWN ROYAL EXPERIENCE THE SUITE LIFE
Blue Jackets fans 21 years of age and older can experience the “suite life” courtesy of Crown Royal. Contest winners will attend an upcoming game in a suite with food and beverage, experience a behind-the-scenes tour and receive a post-game photo and Blue Jackets prize pack. Fans can enter at participating local bars and state liquor agencies or at BlueJackets.com/CrownSuiteLife. Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
CURRENT & UPCOMING PROMOTIONS
- Friday, March 21 vs. NY Rangers – TIM HORTONS JACKETS PACK: This special offer includes a game ticket, $10 food & beverage voucher, Blue Jackets hat, a Tim Hortons travel mug with voucher redeemable for a free coffee fill-up and a 10-pack of Timbits starting at $30 per person.
- Nationwide Insurance VIP Sweepstakes – Nationwide Insurance is awarding a lucky sweepstakes winner with a special VIP Game Experience that includes four game tickets in the Nationwide Insurance Fan Lounge, a $50 food/beverage voucher, a jersey, puck, player photo, the chance to watch warm-ups from the team bench and a ride the Nationwide Zamboni during intermission. Fans can enter at www.BlueJackets.com/NationwideVIP with winners selected for the following games – Mar. 21 vs. NY Rangers and Apr. 4 vs. Chicago.
- Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge – The Blue Jackets are offering fans the chance to go behind the bench and make the calls the head coach makes through the Blue Jackets Fantasy Challenge. Fans can visit BlueJackets.com at the link below to register, pick their lineup and Join the Battle! Over 40 prizes will be awarded throughout the season including autographed pucks and jerseys, game tickets and a suite night!