Post Game: Avalanche 3, Blue Jackets 2 (OT)
AVALANCHE 3 | BLUE JACKETS 2 (OT)
For nearly 50 minutes of tonight's game, the Blue Jackets were in good shape and had the Colorado Avalanche figured out. But all it takes is one bounce to get things started, and tonight, the visitors got a trio of them to turn the game around.
AVALANCHE 3 | JACKETS 2 (OT)
- TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
- DOWNLOAD APP
- ALL STAR INFO
- PHOTO GALLERY
- CBJ PODCASTS
- READ: By The Numbers
- READ: Game Preview
- READ: A closer look at the playoff picture
- READ: Murray progressing in knee rehab
- READ: CBJ Power Rankings (Mar. 31)
- READ: Johansen enjoying breakout season
- WATCH: Full game highlights
- WATCH: Second period highlights
- WATCH: Blake Comeau 2nd period goal
- WATCH: Cam Atkinson 2nd period goal
- WATCH: First period highlights
- LISTEN: Todd Richards post game
- LISTEN: Blake Comeau post game
- LISTEN: Boone Jenner post game
- LISTEN: Jared Boll post game
- LISTEN: Blake Comeau 2nd intermission
- LISTEN: Blake Comeau 2nd period goal
- LISTEN: Cam Atkinson 2nd period goal
- LISTEN: Jared Boll 1st intermission
Sergei Bobrovsky made several key stops for the Jackets in this game, but the ones he could not stop were nearly impossible. Brad Malone got Colorado on the board midway through the third period by banking a puck off Nick Foligno from below the goal line and in, and that wasn't the last of the funky bounces.
Gabriel Landeskog scored his first of two with 4:57 to play, again getting a friendly richocet in front of the net to even it up at 2-2. The Blue Jackets had their chances down the stretch but couldn't beat Varlamov, including a point-blank chance for Comeau in the final minute that was turned aside.
A holding penalty to Artem Anisimov at 2:39 of overtime sent the Avalanche to a 4-on-3 power play, and the Jackets had all but 11 seconds of it taken care of...before another carrom wound up in their net. Landeskog fired from a sharp angle (may have been an attempted pass), off Jack Johnson's skate and into the net with 32.2 seconds remaining in sudden death.
With the single point, the Blue Jackets maintain a one-point lead over Toronto for the second wild card spot with two games in hand on the Maple Leafs.
The Avalanche were the better team for most of the third period, but they were struggling to get quality chances before breaking the seal at 9:46. Malone's goal - just his second of the season - jump-started Colorado at a time when it was desperately needed.
1. GABRIEL LANDESKOG (COL)
In the absence of Matt Duchene, the Avalanche needed more from guys like Landeskog, and their captain stepped up in a big way tonight.
2. BRANDON DUBINSKY (CBJ)
One of the Jackets' most noticeable players, Dubinsky nearly 18 minutes and fired six shots on goal, while setting up the Atkinson goal with a big-time heads-up play.
3. MATT CALVERT (CBJ)
Calvert was all over the rink tonight, tenacious on the forecheck and wreaking havocin the offensive zone. A well-deserved third star.
AT PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
THURSDAY, 7 P.M.
WELLS FARGO CENTER