The Columbus Blue Jackets Book Jackets program powered by AEP is a reading incentive program established in 2000 to encourage students in grades K-8 to spend more of their free time reading. The program is easy to implement and helps your students become All-Star readers with updated reading goals, plus the ability to win great Blue Jackets prizes! Students "keep score" of minutes read throughout a 4-week reading period and are rewarded with Blue Jackets prizes upon completion. Teachers embrace Book Jackets as an easy to implement, flexible tool that helps promote reading and learning outside of the classroom. Through this literacy program, students are rewarded for personal achievement as they reach various goals and are recognized for classroom success, acting as an important member of their classroom team.
How does it work?Book Jackets was created as a supplemental tool that teachers can use to promote a love of reading. Registration for the program is open until December 31, 2014. After you register, you will be named as a Book Jackets Classroom Captain and charged with implementing the program in your classroom.
- Welcome packets will be mailed out beginning the first week of October or within two weeks of when you register.
- Choose one four-week reading period between October 1, 2014 and February 15, 2015.
- After October 1, download the Book Jackets Classroom Captain’s INSTRUCTOR’S MANUAL found in the resource materials link above and read all about the student rewards, teacher incentives, and helpful hints.
- Download, print, and copy the SCORECARDS found in the resource materials link above for all students in your classroom
- Distribute SCORECARDS to students and explain the program’s individual reading goals and create a collective classroom goal.
- Have students with the help of their parents track reading progress on SCORECARDS throughout your selected four week period.
- At the end of your four week period, use your student information from your Book Jackets All-Star Roster form and enter all information online. All entries must be submitted online at the CLASSROOM SUBMISSION link above by February 15, 2015.
- Upon receipt of the forms, the Blue Jackets will mail the respective prizes to the instructor’s attention within four weeks.
For any questions about the Book Jackets program, please contact Katie Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org.