The Columbus Blue Jackets Book Jackets program powered by AEP is a reading incentive program established in 2000 to encourage students in grades K-8 to spend more of their free time reading. The program is easy to implement and helps your students become All-Star readers with updated reading goals and the ability to win great Blue Jackets prizes! Students keep "score" of minutes read throughout a 4-week reading period and are rewarded with Blue Jackets prizes upon completion. Teachers embrace Book Jackets as an easy to implement, flexible tool that helps promote reading and learning outside of the classroom. Through this literacy program, students are rewarded for personal achievement as they reach various goals and are recognized for classroom success acting as an important member of their classroom team.
How does it work?Book Jackets was created as a supplemental tool that teachers can use to promote a love of reading. Registration for the program is new this year and is open from November 1, 2012 to December 18, 2012*. After you register, you will be named as a Book Jackets Classroom Captain and charged with implementing the program in your classroom.
*If you are still interested in implementing Book Jackets in your classroom but have missed the registration period, please contact Colleen Cheek at firstname.lastname@example.org.After you register, follow the steps below to facilitate to the Book Jackets program:
- Choose one four-week reading period between November 1, 2012 and February 1, 2013.
- Download the Book Jackets Classroom Captain’s INSTRUCTOR’S MANUAL found in the resource materials link and read all about the student rewards, teacher incentives, and helpful hints.
- Download, print, and copy the SCORECARDS found in the resource materials link for all students in your classroom
- Distribute SCORECARDS to students and explain the program’s individual reading goals and create a collective classroom goal.
- Have students with the help of their parents track reading progress on SCORECARDS throughout your selected four week period.
- At the end of your four week period, use your student information from your Book Jackets All-Star Roster form and enter all information online. All entries must be submitted online at the CLASSROOM SUBMISSION link on bluejackets.com/bookjackets by February 1, 2013.
- Upon receipt of the forms, the Blue Jackets will mail the respective prizes to the instructor’s attention within four weeks.